09 September 2012

Purgatory and preparing

I have had a busy year, it's over half way through... September already.  But, to summarize, I sold my house in the nick of time.  I shut the door to the past.   I rushed to Tacoma, WA at the beginning of May to join my new unit that was leaving for Afghanistan within 15 days of my arrival.  So here I sit in the middle of Afghanistan, in the middle of a war that America forgot about.  This is my life, for now.  Now I feel like I am in purgatory.

I'm super excited because I was selected for promotion finally. That's good news, but I really thought it would mean more to me because I was waiting so long for it.  The problem is I am disenchanted right now so it kinda puts a sour note to it all.

I spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life.  When I return from Afghanistan I will have exactly 19 years in the service.  One more year till I'm eligible for retirement.  I'll probably stay till 22 years to maximize my retirement pay... I can do anything for three years.

2 comments: